RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED DSMC General Discussion » EPIC and Scarlet slowed by bug, manufacturing [updated]
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 EPIC and Scarlet slowed by bug, manufacturing [updated]
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: EPIC and Scarlet slowed by bug, manufacturing [updated] Reply with quote

In an honorable move, RED's Jim Jannard gave a public statement today enlightening those following their DSMC Camera program of some bumps in the road.

Keeping true to form in staying as transparent as possible during their R&D phase of EPIC and Scarlet, Jim described the challenges they face and their confidence in achieving their goals...

"Bug...

While I am now back from a short medical leave... now I have to ask for your support and patience here.

We have a bug. Seems like a major one. We need your support at a very difficult time. I am asking for that now.

EPIC and Scarlet are complicated cameras. Probably the most complicated cameras ever attempted. We have a crack team on it. The amount of development for this program is unprecedented. But somewhere in the complication... we have a bug. It has held us up now for two months. We have working cameras, as you know. But we aren't going to release anything until the cameras are done and bug free. And we have stumbled on an issue that has caused us considerable grief. It is unexpected and it has us baffled.

The fix could be tomorrow. Or not.

We have been a "lucky" company up to this point. The moon and stars lined up for us for the RED ONE (since we didn't have a clue what we were doing in the beginning) and the RED ONE did all we asked. The M-X sensor is incredible... as you know. Our new ASICs for the EPIC and Scarlet are complicate times a million. And they work. Another miracle. Everything was late but on track. Then we hit a snag.

We have an army working on this. 24/7. Trust me when I tell you that we have been humbled. I have questioned our aggressive goals every day.

So what does this mean? Obviously another delay. To compound matters, the company that was to make Scarlet has made an incredible
announcement recently and has significant issues. You can probably figure out who this is. This will force us to find a new manufacturing partner for that product. When we 1st got wind of this, we decided to make EPIC in the US, hoping that the company would find a solution in time for Scarlet production. That now seems unlikely so we are now scrambling for a new partner.

I have started two companies... Oakley and RED... and have never seen anything like this in 35 years of business. We will get past these obstacles. No question about it. But we are going to need patience from our customers.

Now that I am back, I will promise to keep you informed. Good news and bad. We have added a new SWAT team to help... over 20 people whose sole job is to find the problem and solve it.

RED has pushed the envelop in every way. We have pushed ourselves and our competitors. We have laid out a roadmap for everyone what the future of image capture should be. I can only hope that counts for a bit of your consideration."

Hang in there, Jim, we're with ya...

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits

Last edited by RedCam Central on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Bug Update Reply with quote

An update from RED's Jim Jannard:

"The bug is not keeping EPIC from working. We have cut off it's head but it's legs are still twitching. Hopefully not much longer and we are off to the races."

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted online by Jim Jannard:

"Major bug was destroyed. It took a long time. Now we are adding features and killing the standard bugs that show up along the way. Just like we have been doing for a couple of years now."

IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: