RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED DSMC General Discussion » RED reports slight setback in future ASIC development
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 RED reports slight setback in future ASIC development
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: RED reports slight setback in future ASIC development Reply with quote

RED's Jim Jannard posted this online today. In my opinion, it is refreshing that they are up-front about the status of their upcoming DSMC program:

"Since we are transparent... we have an ASIC issue. We have to do a "metal spin", as apposed to a full re-spin, and it will set our program back about 30 days. I hate delays more than anyone, but we need to be open about the good news and the bad news.

What we are doing is something that no once else is doing... and it is difficult. We have had more than our share of luck... but reality has hit us.

This is not a major setback... but it is newsworthy.

Complain if you will. We are working as hard as we can and reporting what is real. I'd love to wave a magic wand over this but it is what it is."

"You can't imagine how difficult a trick it is what we are trying to accomplish.... there is just no way. Our engineering team is all world, but the magnitude of complexity is hard to imagine. Most everything worked with the ASIC on the 1st try... but a couple of things didn't. The good news is that it is a metal spin and not a full re-spin... which could have set us back several months. Everyone, starting with me, wants all this done yesterday. My reputation, along with the whole RED team... is on the line. But in the end, we will be judged by what we put out, not how long it took."

"While we appreciate your support... trust me when I tell you that everyone here is not happy. We all want it right and we want it NOW. We are the 1st customers. It kills us when we get setbacks. But we also have an obligation to tell it like it is."

"ASICs are done in layers... a metal spin means that the overall design is good but one or more of the layers (of 30) needs to be changed. It is a MUCH better situation than a full re-spin. One takes a month... the other can take several months."

"I have to say that 95+% of our ASIC works great. This is quite a feat considering that industry experts say this is the single most complicated ASIC ever attempted."

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: