RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED DSMC General Discussion » Update on Mysterium-X sensor (Stouffer Chart)
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Update on Mysterium-X sensor (Stouffer Chart)
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Update on Mysterium-X sensor (Stouffer Chart) Reply with quote

According to Jim Jannard...

"I'm telling you... it is getting pretty exciting around here. We are finally "tuning" the sensor and figuring it out. The results are really incredible. It was great last week... even better today. There are a few more knobs to twist and we'll be ready to post some frame grabs.

I'm now shooting only ISO 800 and 2000 for testing. 800 is the new 320... only better."

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stouffer of Mysterium-X (the forthcoming upgraded RED 4.5K sensor)... This shows about 12 stops DR (1 1/2 stops greater than the original Mysterium sensor).

According to RED's Graeme Nattress...

"This graph is from the calibrated Stouffer data on the 41 step Stouffer chart that I have here. The log intensity is calculated direct from measured raw data from the R3D, then normalized to the 0,1 range.

Shot the Stouffer wedge as normal, using Jim's Mysterium-X test camera. Used the 18-50 zoom, F8. I took the R3D and read out the raw values for each of the 41 wedges. I can view a "corrected" image while reading out the raw values, and the black surround which holds the Stouffer on the backlight was actually very slightly darker than wedge 41, the darkest wedge. This difference although visible with an extreme image development it doesn't actually show up in the above plot.

So although the shadow tail of the graph looks flat, there's in reality a very small gradient there that does show the minutest of detail in that shadow.

Similarly, at the top, you can see a small slope before the data clips.

And to add, the Stouffer wedge is calibrated, so when the graph is plotted I use the calibration optical density rather than a strict 1 wedge = 1/3 stop.

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: