RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED ONE M-X » RED ships first Cameras / Test Shoot Cam #19 (pics)
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 RED ships first Cameras / Test Shoot Cam #19 (pics)
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: RED ships first Cameras / Test Shoot Cam #19 (pics) Reply with quote

On August 31st, RED shipped the first 25 Cameras that were reserved by the first customers at NAB 2006.

Reservations holders were invited to come pick up the Cameras in person if they wanted to (at RED HQ in Lake Forest, CA), as well as participate in what apparently was a mini RED Seminar where operational functions were gone over.

The evening continued and some people posted their experiences of opening their Cameras and doing some test shots.

Here are some pictures from the event and then also some from an early test shoot (Cam #19), held in Orange, CA.

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits

Last edited by RedCam Central on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:04 pm; edited 7 times in total
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next day, shooting tests commenced with Camera #19...

I got in touch with the guys and was ecstatic when they allowed me to come down to the stage and get a first hand experience.

(A Special thanks to Blair, Evin, Brook, and Tonaci!)

They had setup the RED ONE on an OConner Head and had a RED 18-50 CF Lens and a RED 300mm Zoom. Word was that not all of the EVFs and LCD displays were ready, so some people did not yet take delivery of them. So, #19 was setup with a Panasonic HD-SDI 8" LCD Monitor (BT-LH900 ?) running on a battery. The output was in 720p and the frame rate was limited to 24, 25, and 30 fps (until the firmware updates are available - which is expected almost daily).

Also on hand was the Power Charger and Battery Packs which I was told lasted quite a while, possibly 2 hours, but no one was really keeping track.

The Camera was marked with it's serial number on the bottom and on the side, and was also outfitted with a Follow Focus system, but I'm not sure which brand. I did see that one of the user preset buttons was assigned to "2x Zoom" which helped with focusing, however, the "Magic Focus Assist" feature has not yet been included. Focusing on the 720p monitor was easier than I thought it would be, especially with the zoom feature.

Audio was not functional but is expected in an update soon. In fact, RED has stated that the complete feature set should be finished within the next several weeks. Also, it has been stated over and over that the RED philosophy is that change will continue and updates will be made available when features are improved upon... simply download the update and save it to the Compact Flash Card, insert into your Camera and the Camera will ask you if you would like to update... that simple.

Among the test shots were several Low Light shots, including a scene driving in a garage, where the Camera was mounted in the back of an SUV.

We will post the images in the "Demo Reel" section of RedCam Central.

(Thanks again to the fellas... it was very generous of you to allow me to come by and play around with the Camera and hang out a bit. It was an historic night. You guys rock, and are just all-around Pros!)

Other RED Cameras are already out and about on various tests and real world shoots. Check the various other sections of the board for updates coming on RED #'s 1-25 from all over the world. We will do our best to keep tabs on them all.

Stay tuned for more updates...

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: