RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED ONE M-X » Monitor Output "Color Correction" On-Set! (LUTs)
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Monitor Output "Color Correction" On-Set! (LUTs)
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Monitor Output "Color Correction" On-Set! (LUTs) Reply with quote

From what I've been able to research, the Camera will have the ability to load color/value parameters set from within REDCINE's LUT (Lookup Tables) via USB, etc.

While on set, one could have a Laptop (tablet PC, anyone?) running REDCINE, load a test clip onto it right from the RED's CF card (or direct USB connection?), then create a LUT for the type of look they would like to try. They would save this "profile" (which contains not only the LUT, but all of the actual values associated with it) and load it onto the Camera via USB, etc. I believe these values would also be individually accessible from the Camera Menu, if you wanted to make any changes on the fly and save a new "profile".

This will allow the DP/operator to test grades or color correction via the Monitor Outputs (LCD, SDI, EVF) while still recording the RAW image data uneffected, since the RGB monitoring pathway runs on the same image processing code as REDCINE.

The parameters will then be embedded into the Clip as MetaData, and will be able to be associated with the clip again in REDCINE. The user will of course also have the option of not using this information and starting from scratch. (I suppose this feature could also be used for helping in better Video Assist (brightening a dark shot) or for specific tests (blue only, remove specific colors, etc.)

Also, I believe the operator will have the option to "bake in" the parameter settings and record the adjustments into the clip. (Although this may not be as desirable since you would not be able to undo these settings.)

What is exciting to me is having this creative freedom from Pre through Post (including right there on set). Imagine being able to test new looks or pre-vis your grade right on set, yet be able to record the RAW data and make any changes later without worry! This is an incredible feature that opens up many new possibilities...

more as we learn it...

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: