RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED EPIC (EPIC-M, EPIC-X) » RED Ships EPIC-M #0007
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 RED Ships EPIC-M #0007
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: RED Ships EPIC-M #0007 Reply with quote

While the world may never again see the now infamous EPIC-M #0006, RED has shipped the next Camera in line (which also happens to go to OffHollywood in NY).

Here are some photos:

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some info posted online by Off Hollywood's Mark Pederson regarding his experiences with EPIC-M. Also, he links to some footage:

"Here's a couple R3Ds frames and a tiny 96fps clip:

http://www.freehillproductions.com/offhollywood/

I let the OFFHOLLYWOOD staff & DITs throw together a fun little test shoot with a couple models - Steve Sherrick decided it was a good enough excuse to stop by with his MX and shoot a little behind the scenes and see the EPIC in action and catch up.

Nothing fancy at all here - literally a chimera and 4 small tungsten lights. Basically, indie gorilla style.

We shot about 2 hours of footage at 5K 2:1 - 3:1 compression on the 23.98fps shots to 12:1 compression at 96fps - with a some 6:1 and 8:1 compressions at frame rates in between.

Master Primes, shooting T1.3-T2.8 mostly. ARRI WCU-3 wireless focus.

We downloaded SSDs directly to our DI system while we were shooting since we filmed in the lounge area at OFFHOLLYWOOD - so we were screening footage in the theatre while we were shooting. Pretty sure I've posted this already - but EPIC footage is simply stunning when projected on a screen - the additional detail resulting from the resolution is obvious.

We are getting 24fps playback with full debayer at 5K with an alpha build of Assimilate's Scratch running on our dual Red Rocket system (JMR hardware).

Camera continues to perform rock solid. Not one single glitch or "moment" during this shoot. We were changing shutter, frame rates and compression constantly - and instantly - via REDmote and touchscreen.

Jarred also informed me that the next firmware build I'll be getting (any moment) has further optimized black calibration - which will lower the noise floor - specifically on higher frame rates, etc. - so - please keep in mind that these are just test shoots.

I'm going to try to edit a little piece from the footage this weekend and see if we can quickly grade, encode and post on Monday - but fear not - we will be shooting lots more next week as well as doing some lens coverage tests, etc. - so I'll keep adding better stuff here - more R3Ds and pics to this thread as long as folks are interested.

We got a few treats up our sleeves but we wanted to really make sure we put the camera through the paces and that all of our DIT/techs got to know and handle it and run whatever tests they wanted.

HDRx™ goodies coming soon here too..."

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: