RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED EPIC (EPIC-M, EPIC-X) » RED SHIPS FIRST EPIC #000006
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 RED SHIPS FIRST EPIC #000006
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: RED SHIPS FIRST EPIC #000006 Reply with quote

RED's Jarred Land posted this online:

"Thanks Mark (Pederson) for being the first person to put up their hand 5 years ago.

Fedex just left."

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits

Last edited by RedCam Central on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark's reply:

"OMG. #6!

I'm having a flashback to 2006.

Ted Schilowitz told me at Sundance that he was going to leave AJA and work with Jim to build this crazy, revolutionary 4K camera. He was so excited. He pitched me the concept, which I loved, but when I asked if he had the sensor and he replied "we're gonna build it" - I got a little worried. But I could see how sincerely excited Ted was about the project and I just had a feeling there was something there. Sometime in March I got a phone call from Ted - he said he & Jim were going to have a booth at NAB and announce the camera to the world - and he wanted me to be a part of it and just be around and help in the booth. I asked if they had a working prototype - "nope". I asked if they had a sensor working - "nope". I said "Ted, sure I'll help you out - but what the hell am I going to do in the booth?" And Ted says "Don't worry. Just be yourself".

A week or so later I'm on a conference call with Jim, Ted and a bunch of folks - some who now work at RED, some were folks Ted picked to help in the booth. The purpose of the call was to discuss what was going to happen during the trade show. Ted & Jim explained that we would take $1000 deposits for a serial number, a place in line - that it would be fully refundable, etc. Everyone on the call was very quiet. It was really just Ted & Jim talking. I asked if we'd be starting with the number "1". And there was a quick side-bar between some of the folks on the call and then Ted announced that serial numbers 1-5 would be Jim's cameras. So then I asked, really without even thinking, "Can I have number 6?" and there was silence - some chatter between Ted & Jim and then Ted said "Sure". "And number 7"? And Ted said "Sure, Mark has number 6 & 7". And the thing I remember most about that call was that I expected everyone else on the call to ask for a serial number - and it was just silence.

Ted called me after and said "I can't believe you did that! One day … you will understand what a big deal that was."

That day is today.

I look back at the early days when we only had #006 (Elvis) and #007 (Bond) - no audio - no slow motion - no 16:9. A new firmware build every day. It was a blast. I called Stuart at his home so often his wife would just answer the phone "Hello Mark". I remember countless meetings trying to convince people to use these cameras. Countless demos.

Things are VERY different now. RED is everywhere. I'm proud to have been right inside that revolution.

And now - the next chapter begins. EPIC.

Helmet on. Let's do this."

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics coming in from Mark Pederson as he uses his new EPIC #00006 for the first time. He posts:

"Okay - the Eagle just landed.

I'l try to throw up a pic or two and tweet today - but please don't expect a post until after midnight.

I hope you can understand that today I'd rather not sit in front of a computer."

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics from Off Hollywood:

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from Mark Pederson, CTO/Co-Founder, OFFHOLLYWOOD:

" I know the RED ONE MX very well. What really struck me about the EPIC is that it just felt EASIER to work with. I'm not sure if it's a "graphical" thing with respect to the font and size of text in the menus - or if its the organization of the menu options - or maybe the fact that you can move through the menus with the touch screen, the side handle or the Redmote - or maybe all of the above. But it just FEELS easier than working with the RED ONE MX to me. It feels "better".

I kept thinking of the analogy Ted uses when teaching REDUCATION - "you can play checkers, or, if you want , you can play chess". There's a TON of controls and options in this thing - WAY MORE than the Red One MX - but it's so fast and simple to get up and rolling it's scary.

There are so many "little things" that made us smile. Like when you format an SSD the image stays live on the screen. You can adjust fan settings in standby and shooting mode individually, and in %'s. If you try to shoot a higher frame rate than the compression you have selected - you get a little warning that tells you the maximum compression that can be used with the framerate and the resolution you are shooting and asks if you want to proceed to shoot your shot with the maximum compression available. So, you don't have to "know" or look at a chart - the camera knows and it's one click to proceed - and you get the shot in the highest quality possible. VERY nice.

I really don't want to comment yet on very specific stuff and we are testing and I'm know some more features are going to come online soon - but I'll tell you this - we tried a ton of settings. And we tried changing pretty much everything in the menus and shooting multiple framerates, all available 5K formats, different time bases, shutters, etc. etc. - we removed the side handle while the camera was on - re-installed it while the camera was on (it takes seconds) - and EPIC never blinked.

It's mind-numbing to have so much firepower in such a small, light package."

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UPDATE]

RED EPIC #0006 has just been reported stolen in Meribel, France. If you have any information that may help to recover the Camera, please contact RED Digital Cinema at:

https://www.red.com/contact_us/new

IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: