RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED ONE M-X » Red Announces Shipping Schedule / Delays (updated 7-05-07)
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Red Announces Shipping Schedule / Delays (updated 7-05-07)
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Red Announces Shipping Schedule / Delays (updated 7-05-07) Reply with quote

As posted on the Red website:

TENTATIVE shipping schedule for RED ONE as of 2007-04-11

"This is the TENTATIVE shipping schedule for the RED ONE camera.
Subject to CHANGE at any minute for any reason!"

* April - May - Serial #1-12
* June - Serial #13-100. (Partially enabled feature set)
* July - Serial #101-300. (Partially enabled feature set)
* August - Serial #301-550 (90% enabled feature set)
* September - Serial #551-1000 (98% enabled feature set)
* October - Serial #1001-1700 (Fully enabled feature set)
* November - Serial #1701- 2500
* December - Serial #2501- 3500

All cameras will ship with the capability to record 4k REDCODE RAW to RED DRIVE, view on the RED EVF or LCD, and have shutter options from day one. Record RGB options will be one of the last options to be enabled.

Please note that the Peter Jackson/RED movie was shot with "Boris" and "Natasha" and NO feature was enabled except 4k REDCODE RAW recording to RED DRIVE. Monitoring was done with a 3rd party 720P LCD. The only button enabled was RUN/STOP.

If anyone wants to cancel their reservation, the refund goes as follows:

* Serial number 6-750 = $1200
* Serial number 751-1500 = $1100

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits

Last edited by RedCam Central on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted recently on Red.com:

"RED is currently on an engineering delay, as we refine some components to reach our target image quality for the initial camera release. A revised approximate shipping schedule will be posted sometime in the near future."

Hopefully we'll hear more on shipping dates soon... A better image is certainly worth the wait, IMO.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update was released online on May 10th from Red founder, Jim Jannard:

I know everyone is waiting for some info. As you know, we are on an engineering hold. What that means is that the last 10% is harder than we thought. We got so far so fast that we were sure we could finish without problems. Wrong.

We have encountered a ton of detail issues. Throw in some supplier difficulties and here we are... delayed. I really didn't think it would happen, but it has. Fear not, the image is there (good news). That is the main thing. But this project is so complicated that we are held up with details. It won't last forever (good news), but it is costing us some time. I wish I could give you a date right now, but I can't. We still believe that the ones that are affected the most are the 1st serial numbers. I am confident that once we get rolling we can catch up quickly. Bear with us. We are working as fast as we can. I hope that we can share specific news/delivery schedule shortly.

Jim

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest as of May 13th is that the issues causing the delays have turned out to be "completely solvable" and that Red expects to give a "locked down schedule" in 5 weeks. (Of course, things are always subject to change).

More as soon as we hear it.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing to update the status, here is the latest from Jim on the Red Project:

OK... here it is.

Several weeks ago we put the RED ONE on an engineering delay to re-design and fab a new sensor board. We have taken this delay time opportunity to improve many other pieces of the electronics puzzle. We are now putting all the pieces of the puzzle back together to prepare for a production camera. This is an incredibly complex project and the last 5% is much more intense than we had ever imagined. But the camera gets better every day.

1. I will not give you our new timeline tonight. I need a few more facts from several suppliers to finish the timeline and should have everything I need to present next Friday. (I hear the collective "ugh")

2. The production camera will be released with core features enabled. Additional features will be enabled by software updates. A projected schedule of those updates will be posted along with anticipated serial number deliveries next Friday.

3. We are now placing a handful of Beta prototypes (named but not serial numbered) before production begins. The primary purpose of these cameras will be to shoot major motion pictures by some of the most recognized professionals in the industry. These cameras will have minimum features... not enough for a production release but more than enough to shoot a high-budget film. These projects will give us the most thorough and comprehensive field testing a camera has ever been subjected to. We will have our field reps present at each project to watch over the production, baby-sit the cameras and workflow and give important feedback for any final changes that will go into the production cameras.

4. We plan to move as quickly as possible to production cameras. We are not looking at next year. We are not looking at the end of this year to begin production. I will fill in the details of what we are looking at next week.

I don't like this delay. I do like taking enough time to make sure the camera exceeds expectations. We fully understand that we are testing the patience of some of our customers. If you are nervous, we will promptly refund your deposit "plus". We appreciate, more than you know, those that are hanging in there with us.

Jim

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest from RED on the shipping status (updated June 22nd):

OK. Here is the revised schedule. IT IS STILL TENTATIVE (as required by law). I have recently learned how many things can go wrong at the 11th hour so I am still a bit gun-shy about committing to this schedule 100%. This is the timeline we have in-house and everyone, including all of our suppliers, is now committed to do everything we can to make it happen. I have stated before that the 1st production cameras will NOT be fully feature enabled. I need a few more days to post that schedule.

If anyone who has a reservation wants to wait to receive their cameras when all features are enabled, we will hold their camera aside until that time. They will NOT lose their serial number. If anyone wants to cancel their reservation for any reason, we will refund their deposit by the schedule I posted last week.

Cameras for movie production- now to July 30th. These cameras will have limited features. Not enough for production cameras but enough to shoot a major motion picture. We will get valuable "field test" information from these projects.

Production camera schedule:
Serial numbers 1 (mine)-50 August 30th (50 units)
Serial numbers 51-100 September 15th (50 units)
Serial numbers 101-300 October 10th (200 units)
Serial numbers 301- 700 November 10th (400 units)
Serial numbers 701- 1200 December 10th (500 units)
Serial numbers 1201- 1700 January 10th (500 units)
Serial numbers 1701- 2200 February 10th (500 units)
Serial numbers 2201- 2700 March 10th (500 units)
Serial numbers 2701- 3400 April 10th (700 units)
Serial numbers 3401- 4100 May 10th (700 units)

We recognize that this delay is not what anyone voted for. We are doing our best and appreciate everyone's patience.

Jim

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Lens Update: Reply with quote

This news was also released regarding the Shipping Schedule of Lenses:

"The 18-50mm CF T3 (f2.8) lens will be available immediately with the shipments of the 1st cameras. The 50-150mm T3 (f2.8) lens will likely be available at years' end. The 18-85mm T3 (f2.8) lens is still in the works. We are hoping for mid-2008. The Prime lens set is scheduled for years' end or 1st of 2008. Hope that helps. Remember, all could change tomorrow. :-)

Jim"

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to RED, the engineering delay is now officially over and the project is back on track.

First units are tentatively scheduled for shipment in late summer...

Here is what was posted on their website earlier today:

"The RED ONE is back on track after a two month engineering delay. Field testing is underway before entering into production. RED ONE prototypes are being used on the Wanted set in Prague and has been chosen by Steven Soderbergh to shoot his next two movies, The Argentine and Guerrilla. Valuable information will be gathered at these shoots and final tweaks will be done as needed before production begins."

IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: