RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Other Stuff » New Apple Mac Book Pro and Cinema Display
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 New Apple Mac Book Pro and Cinema Display
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: New Apple Mac Book Pro and Cinema Display Reply with quote

Apple unveiled the new 13" and 15" Mac Book Pros as well as a new 24" LED Cinema Display:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new-macbook/

http://www.apple.com/displays/

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Apple announced the long awaited update to it's MacBook Pro 17" model.

Some of the major changes are:

Longer Lasting Built-in Battery - 8 Hours from single charge, up to 1,000 recharges (3-times typical notebook battery)

1920 by 1200 pixel resolution using NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or 9600M GT with improved color gamut and glossy glass or anti-glare display

Slimmer, streamlined unibody aluminum enclosure allows for the thinnest and lightest 17-inch notebook ever — just 0.98 inch thin and 6.6 pounds

All new larger multi-touch trackpad gets rid of button

2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
1066MHz frontside bus
6MB of shared L2 cache

320GB hard drive, up to 8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 memory, ultrafast 8x SuperDrive (resides on right side now), optional 128GB or 256GB solid-state drive

(Ports now all on left side)
Three USB 2.0 ports
FireWire 800 port
Mini DisplayPort
ExpressCard/34 slot
802.11n wireless networking

Price the same as last version: $2,799.00

For more information, visit:
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

----------------

Comments:

1) Welcome addition of full HD resolution capable display with better color gamut and anti-glare option. (While the higher resolution was expected from the previous 15" MacBook announcement, the anti-glare option is new.)

2) Ports all on left side, super drive on the right. I kinda liked the previous setup with the ports split on each side and the drive in front, but I see that this was necessary to allow for the new battery design.

3) No Firewire 400 port. This is a convenience that I will miss. No wiat, more than that. There are a lot of products that won't connect now or will need adapters.

4) No Sata port. Big disappointment. Its long overdue.

5) Battery Life expanded to up to 8 hours off a single charge and being able to have a very long battery life (up to 5 years) is a great accomplishment, but at what cost? See below...

6) Built in Battery. This scares me. A lot. Even though the lifespan is great, how many of us out there using our Mac Books have had heat issues theat resulted in the expanding battery which kills your Mac Book? I know when I render using REDCINE for long periods of time, if I don't have a good cooling system underneath, I'm risking it big-time. Even with a fan system, the Battery gets very hot (as does the power supply). So much so sometimes, that I wonder how these products can pass inspection by various technical agencies both domestic and international. Either way, a Battery that is not removable (from what I understand) is a risk on a set. I suppose time will only tell if they are much more reliable and run cooler than previous models.
Also, there is just the concern of having a bad battery and not being able to quickly swap it for a working one if in a bind. For example, when I'm on location and all of a sudden I have problems with my battery - (let's say it overheats and expands and causes the motherboard to warp, which is a well known problem for MacBook batteries, thus not allowing the computer to function, and the crew is waiting for me) - let's just say that the older model with a removable battery is the option I'm going with...

http://tinyurl.com/MacBookBatteries Wink

7) No BluRay ???

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: