RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Feature Suggestions » Secondary REDMag
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Secondary REDMag
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Secondary REDMag Reply with quote

I think the ability to have a secondary REDMag Module that could record
simultaneously as a backup, would be great. BUT the more valuable feature, I believe, would be the ability to have the second REDMag recording in a different format. (not a different frame rate or anything that needs changes made at the sensor, of course).

This would be HUGE for Feature work, as well as many other types of productions that want to shoot in resolutions higher than HD for their Master, and still have instant lower-res versions available to view.

Imagine being on-set, and having "Rushes" come straight off the Camera on a separate REDMag in 1080p scaled RGB, while you have the 4K+ version available to backup and send to Editorial on another REDMag.

I'm not sure if the brain of an EPIC or Scarlet would be able to handle this additional processing, but perhaps a specialized module could have an onboard co-processor (mini-brain) if needed. It could be a bit pricey, but I think for certain projects, it would more than pay for itself in time saved.

Panasonic has an accessory for the AJ-HPX series of Cameras (P2) called the AJ-YAX800G Proxy Encode Card.

From the Panasonic website:

"It allows AJ-HPX Cameras to record MPEG4 proxy (low-resolution) data onto the P2 card or an SD/SDHC Memory Card along with full-resolution data. This can be used for quick viewing of dailies with timecode and it's low bit-rate provides easy transmission over wired and wireless networks. It's also perfect for enhancing news production and simplifying long format program editing, including documentaries and reality television. The three levels of proxy video available are 1.5 Mbps, 768 kbps and 196 kbps which contain AV data, time code, metadata, and other control information."

Not bad for $1200.

Similar to this concept, the second REDMag would allow the Camera operator to decide which quality/format is being additionally recorded, from a full-res identical backup or 1080p scaled RGB version, all the way down to a low res proxy used for sending across networks quickly without needing too much storage room.

I'm sure there is plenty of technical issues that I am not aware of in how the inner workings of EPIC of Scarlet operate, and this may just not be possible. But I figured it was definitely worth adding to the list here.

Even if it were just possible on EPIC, I think there would be pretty good demand for it. I'd be curious to hear what others think. Is this something you could use?

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: