RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Other Stuff » Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales" Premieres!
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales" Premieres!
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales" Premieres! Reply with quote

"Southland Tales", a new Film written and directed by Richard Kelly ("Donnie Darko") and photographed by Steven Poster ASC, finally premieres this week after many months of delays and re-editing following a less than enthusiastic review when it opened at Cannes 2 years ago.

The plot summary is best described on IMDB:

"Southland Tales is an ensemble piece set in the futuristic landscape of Los Angeles on July 4, 2008, as it stands on the brink of social, economic and environmental disaster. Boxer Santaros (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) is an action star who's stricken with amnesia. His life intertwines with Krysta Now (Sarah Michelle Gellar), an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and Ronald Taverner (Seann William Scott), a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy."

Over 20 minutes have been cut from the original version which was around 2 hours and 45 minutes long. Also, the narrated introduction by Justin Timberlake has been redone in a much more somber mood and many visual effects have been added that were always intended to be in the original, but the budget did not allow for them.

Sony Pictures ended up picking up the Film and agreed to fund the additional effects and other changes. Also, a Pre-quel saga in graphic novel form is available, which helps give a good foundation for the Film. Richard partnered with Kevin Smith on that part of the project.

I personally have been very much looking forward to this Film's release, since I was the Video Coordinator / Playback Operator for the on-set Video elements that appear in the movie, including computer screens / graphics, TV Screens, Projectors, etc.

Production on ST was a great experience. The cast and crew were excellent and it was refreshing to work on a lower budget show, since they allowed for a lot of creative freedom throughout the shoot. I learned a lot, made some great friends, and had a great time working long hours while shooting all over Los Angeles. Smile

The ensemble cast was huge too, which made every day a new and interesting experience. There were several cameos and smaller roles played by many of my childhood heroes, including Jon Lovitz, John Larroquette, Christopher Lambert, Curtis Armstrong and Wallace Shawn.

"Southland Tales" seems to me like it will be one of those films widely misunderstood and rejected by the majority of people. Since it is a mixture of so many genres (Action, Sci-Fi, Film Noir, Comedy, Musical, Political Commentary) and pushes many boundaries, it will be either loved or hated, but nothing in between. I think, if Kelly pulls off his vision, it may make quite a political statement underneath it's absurd exterior, and may eventually gain a cult following. But it's too soon to tell.

Here is Richard's Website, which has more media links and information. Also, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is hosting SNL this Saturday to help promote the film (unless postponed due to the writers strike).

ST premieres this weekend in select cities and nationwide next week. I'm going to try and make a screening here in L.A. tomorrow or Sunday... Check your local listings.... oh, and here's the Southland Tales trailer.

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: