RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Other Stuff » Searching for video samples with resolution beyond fullHD
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Searching for video samples with resolution beyond fullHD
the Interceptor
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Searching for video samples with resolution beyond fullHD Reply with quote

Dear RedCam Central forum members,

I am a new member, and I was brought here via Google through my search for high resolution video samples. If you'd like to know why, read right on. If not, you can skip the following two paragraphs.

I love tech gadgets and happened to get my fingers onto this Philips 21:9 television set for a while. It has a 58" panel with a resolution of 2560 x 1080 pixels. Naturally, it displays fullHD content (16:9, 1920 x 1080 px) with black bars at the right and the left side of the image, only content with the cinemascope aspect ratio is being displayed fullscreen. To my surprise, I had to learn that blu-rays with movies in cinemascope aspect ratio are not being encoded anamorphic. The native aspect ratio for blu-rays is 16:9, so 21:9 movies are being encoded with black bars at the top and the bottom. The Philips tv then simply zooms the whole image to fill the screen. Understandably, this gives away a good part of the possible resolution and thus compromises the image quality one should be able to achieve with this tv. There are no official figures, but it seems a fullHD video with cinemascope content uses around 820 lines for the picture and wastes 260 lines in black bars.

Gaining this knowledge possessed my ambition. I wanted to create video material in the native resolution of this video panel to unleash its full potential. Unfortunately, there is no device that can feed the tv with its native resolution. Even via a computer, the tv refuses to accept the native resolution of 2560 x 1080 pixels. The tv-internal processing is on the same team, so my trials of feeding it videos as well as still images of this resolution by USB failed as well. I accepted my fate and sticked to content with 1920 x 1080 pixels, which the connected Playstation 3 plays just fine. So I started to make short clips of cinemascope video squeezed anamorphically into a 16:9 fullHD image. I can then stretch the image horizontally on the tv and at least use the full vertical resolution of the panel, which is better than nothing. That however brings me to the actual problem:

Where can I find video material which ideally is cinemascope and has at least 1080 active lines? Upscaling fullHD video makes no sense at all, because that's what the tv already does quite well. There are a few clips on youtube in 4k resolution, but the rather strong compression means that they are in no shape to serve as demo material. I found a few short 2160p clips on Xiph.org and managed to convert them appropriately, but it's nothing to write home about. Same goes for the sample of Time Scapes, which is brilliant as such, but which I have to crop to 21:9 to make it work, taking away a good chunk of the awesomeness. What I'm looking for ideally is already in cinemascope format, like a 4k movie trailer. I would be able to rescale it to an anamorphic fullHD image with 1080 active lines. There is the Lord of the Rings supertrailer on youtube, but I would need a better quality version of that to make any good use of it.

During my search, I repeatedly stumbled over RedCam. I did search the forum for any high resolution video material, but the only thing I found were the milk girls in fullHD. There are so many movies being shot on RedCam right now, so there must be something out there. Some movie snippets, trailers, whatever. I can use anything as demo material as long at it is cinemascope, has a vertical resolution of 1080 or more active lines and is of good quality.

Long story very short: any hints?
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: