RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED ONE M-X » Red One, Best shooting mode and matching cameras
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Red One, Best shooting mode and matching cameras
Francisco Bech
New Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Red One, Best shooting mode and matching cameras Reply with quote

Hello to everyone

I been looking to different cameras for a documentary project with interviews. I am considering the Red One because I may find a good deal but I dont have experience with the RED

The content of the project is, interviews in different settings with lighting, not point and shoot. Some following of the main charactar in streets etc. the camera would have to be in the shoulder some times. An then a concert at the end

These are my doubts

1) Is there a big difference in qualitu between 4k and 2k, I mean, is the 4K going to look better or is just a matter of size? If I shoot 4k and then convert to 2K, is this the best way to go 2K?

2)I am talking about 2K , because I would like to have a second unit to be more point and shoot ready just in case, and maybe include some close shots of this second unit. I was looking at the Sony F3 and The Pana HVX200. 1080p is bit less than 2K, so , could it be possible to include some shots from this cameras in the editing? would you note the difference a lot? I am thinking about close shots, not big or general shots.

3) There is a concert at the end, so, since is impossible for me to get 5 Red ones, I was thiking about the red one in a crane for the big shots and F3 or Hvx 200 for close shots on stage, is this crazy?

4) What is the storage hardrive comsuption when you shot in 4K? I heard is like 1 GB per minute, is that accurate?

Thanks a lot!
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Red One, Best shooting mode and matching cameras Reply with quote

Francisco Bech wrote:
Hello to everyone

I been looking to different cameras for a documentary project with interviews. I am considering the Red One because I may find a good deal but I dont have experience with the RED

The content of the project is, interviews in different settings with lighting, not point and shoot. Some following of the main charactar in streets etc. the camera would have to be in the shoulder some times. An then a concert at the end

These are my doubts

1) Is there a big difference in qualitu between 4k and 2k, I mean, is the 4K going to look better or is just a matter of size? If I shoot 4k and then convert to 2K, is this the best way to go 2K?

2)I am talking about 2K , because I would like to have a second unit to be more point and shoot ready just in case, and maybe include some close shots of this second unit. I was looking at the Sony F3 and The Pana HVX200. 1080p is bit less than 2K, so , could it be possible to include some shots from this cameras in the editing? would you note the difference a lot? I am thinking about close shots, not big or general shots.

3) There is a concert at the end, so, since is impossible for me to get 5 Red ones, I was thiking about the red one in a crane for the big shots and F3 or Hvx 200 for close shots on stage, is this crazy?

4) What is the storage hardrive comsuption when you shot in 4K? I heard is like 1 GB per minute, is that accurate?

Thanks a lot!

You will notice quite a difference in quality, especially if your project is planned to be distributed theatrically. 1080p or 2K tend to get soft when blown up on a big screen, but are still viable shooting methods.

The major differences between Cameras like to panasonic HVX-200 and RED are resolution, dynamic range, choice of lenses, framerates options, RAW recording, professional accessories, high-end compression format, third party support, need for focus puller vs. auto focus.

If shooting concerts, one must consider using RED's longer format recording methods such as the RED DRIVE which can record hours of 4K footage.

I would do test shoots, get familiar with each Camera, and then decide on the best coarse of action.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Bajie007
New Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the storage hardrive comsuption when you shot in 4K? I heard is like 1 GB per minute, is that accurate?
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As documented in the RED ONE Operations Guide:

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: