RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED Digital Cinema General Discussion » Welcome to RedCam Central!
View previous topic
View next topic

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Welcome to RedCam Central!
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Welcome to RedCam Central! Reply with quote

Welcome to RedCam Central !

It is a very exciting time in the world of Digital Cinema. Barriers are being broken down everyday and what was not long ago thought of as impossible is now becoming a reality. In 2005, a certain company announced plans for designing a revolutionary new camera system. The concept was to build, from the ground up, a new camera capable of recording 4K RAW digital images with the image quality and color fidelity of 35mm Film... for a fraction of the cost of traditional cinema cameras.

The Orange County, CA based company was, of course, RED Digital Cinema, founded by Jim Jannard (founder of Oakley). At NAB 2006 (photos below), a milestone was reached when a mock-up model of the first RED ONE Camera was shown. Later, in the fall of 2006, the first 4K footage from the Mysterium sensor was shown to the public at screenings around the world. I was in attendance at the Los Angeles screening and was blown away. The color characteristics, dynamic range, and shallow depth of field from it's compatibility with PL Mount 35mm lenses, made the images very "filmic". In December 2006, the company's deadline of producing the first prototype was completed on time. Over 1500 units were initially reserved by customers all over the globe (with a money back guarantee). In the fall of 2007, the first RED ONE Cameras were shipping.

[edit: now over 9000 Cameras have shipped, with RED's next generation Cameras EPIC shipping over 500 bodies and Scarlet about to be released. Also, they have purchased what was formerly RenMar Studios and before that Desilu Studios) and have renamed it RED Studios Hollywood, where they now run R&D operations, training and promotional events, as well as continue to rent out several of the sound stages to major productions.]

Exciting times indeed... but the RED project is really much more than building an affordable camera that is capable of recording beautiful images. It is Jim's passionate idea of revolutionizing the entire Digital Filmmaking process as we know it. Everything has been engineered with this in mind; from the Form Factor, Mounting Systems, Lens Options, and Modularity, to the Format Options, Available Frame Rates, Codecs, Production Workflow, Storage Systems, and optional Accessories.

This forum was created specifically for people to discuss the exciting news surrounding the progress of this revolutionary company.

[edit: Since shipping the RED ONE, RED Digital Cinema has announced several other products, including additional Cameras (Scarlet & EPIC), Pro Lenses, Accessories, Playback Devices (RED RAY, RED RAY PRO, RED ROCKET), Software (REDCINE, REDCINE-X, RED Alert!, RED Rushes, RED Line) and Developer Kits (SDKs). Also, countless third party companies have released products, both hardware and software, for use with the RED Camera and Toolset.

Also, RED has become the Camera of choice on many big budget features and prime-time TV shows. Some recent TV projects shot on RED include "Pretty Little Lairs", "Shameless", "Leverage", and "Southland" with recent Features including "Book of Eli" "The Social Network", "Pirates of the Caribbean IV", "The Lincoln Lawyer", "The Amazing Spiderman", "Jack the Giant Killer", and "The Hobbit"]

As a Director, Producer, Video Coordinator for On-set Video, Playback Operator / DMT (Local 695) for Feature Films and Primetime TV - living in Los Angeles - in my spare time, I hope to help grow a community of next generation filmmakers by offering a place where people can learn together, network, and share their experiences with this ground-breaking technology and innovative company's vision.

[edit: As of December 2010, I have shot several projects on the RED, including having directed Spec Commercials and Music Videos (RED #270 and #1041 of Hill Digital in Los Angeles) and have been involved in many other RED projects as RED Tech, DMT, Operator, DP, and Consultant. I also have been hired as a teacher's assistant at several of RED's official training events entitled "REDucation".]

[edit: As of May, 2011, I have entered a business partnership with Ben Betts and Jeremy Guarisco and we now own (2) EPIC-M Cameras which we are renting out as well as shooting our own original productions on. If you are interested, please contact us at:

rentals@RedCamCentral.com]

I realize there are already other forums available for people interested in the RED Camera, including RED's official site, but I feel that this is such a ground-breaking product that there will be plenty of room for different perspectives and varying circles of interested parties. Also, by being based in L.A., perhaps this particular forum will become a networking place for RED filmmakers living in Southern California.

I hope that you enjoy your experiences here. RedCam Central is a site independently designed and run by RED Camera enthusiasts and is not directly affiliated with the RED Digital Cinema company. Because of this, as well as being separate from other forums, I believe this website can offer a unique perspective, perhaps being more open-minded to the entire spectrum of filmmakers that are interested in this innovative product. Everyone is welcome, from Hobbyists, Videographers, and Indie Filmmakers, to Feature Film Producers, Directors, and Cinematographers. We do, however, strongly encourage members to use their Real Names in their signatures in order to promote a professional atmosphere.

Please feel free to send ideas, suggestions, photos, and links to articles and footage to us as we continue with the design and functionality of the website.

Oh, and a HUGE Thank You to Jim Jannard, Ted Schilowitz, Jarred Land, Graeme Nattress, Stuart English, Jon Sagud, Deanan Dasilva, Rob Lohman, and the countless others on the RED Design Team for taking us on this incredible adventure to change filmmaking as we know it!

Let the Revolution Continue...

REDŽ IS A TRADEMARK OF RED DIGITAL CINEMA. REDCAMCENTRAL IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH OR ENDORSED BY RED DIGITAL CINEMA.

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits

Last edited by RedCam Central on Sat May 21, 2011 12:14 pm; edited 14 times in total
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: RedCam Central Update: Reply with quote

RedCam Central Update: I'd like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that RED #270 (owned by Chris Hill) has officially arrived at it's new home in Los Angeles! First images were shot on Friday (01/18/08) during some simple interior lighting tests.

Chris is a close friend and colleague of mine. His company, Hill Digital, specializes in renting Cameras, Equipment, and On-set Services. Some of you in Hollywood may already know Chris from his many years in the industry as a Video and Camera Engineer, or by his former company and family owned business, Hill Production Services, where he specialized in high-speed cameras. (Chris and I met several years ago while working on Warner Brothers Features and PrimeTime shows doing Video and Computer Playback.)

This is an incredibly exciting time. RedCam Central will be the home to all of the adventures of Chris's RED #270 and #1041 and we will keep you posted with Camera tests and behind-the-scene coverage on our projects.

Thanks to Jim, the RED Team, and everyone online for all of the great advice, support, opportunities, and friendships.

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.

IMDB Credits

Last edited by RedCam Central on Sat May 21, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: RedCam Central acquires EPIC-Ms Reply with quote

As many of you have heard, RedCam Central has taken delivery of two brand new RED EPIC-M Cameras.

My business partners (Jeremy and Ben) and I are beginning an amazing journey as early EPIC-M owners and will be producing our own content as well as renting Cameras to productions from all genres.

If interested in rentals, please contact us at:

Rentals@RedCamCentral.com

EPIC-Ms #5XX and #6XX reside in the Hollywood area.

Thanks to Jim, Ted, Jarred, and the entire RED team for helping make this dream a reality!

Looking forward to this incredible journey!

IMDB Credits
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: