RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Shot on RED » Dubai EPIC shooting and other traveling fun
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Dubai EPIC shooting and other traveling fun
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Dubai EPIC shooting and other traveling fun Reply with quote

Ted Schilowitx from RED posted this online recently, telling of his latest travels with EPIC:

"I'm on one one of my flights across Asia Pacific right now, doing some quick grading of EPIC 5k footage shot from helicopter in Dubai and from a coffee shop in istanbul on my MacBook Air… checking some email on my iPhone, drafting this note up on my iPad (If I had any more Apple gear with me on this flight I could open up my own Apple store here)

Totally mobile and portable, running RedCineX on the Mac Air reviewing 5k footage like it was a web video at 1/8th rez from the full 5k… no problem, grabbing quick R3D frames to post online and kick out jpegs to email. So easy and streamlined, it's a bit mind boggling.

Some backstory… in Dubai I had the rare opportunity to fly on a very special helicopter with some very special VIPs (other than the EPIC body which seems to create it's own vortex of excitement everywhere I take it) no more details on the VIPs as they really value their privacy, so no speculation here on who I was with please...

We were up on the helipad of a very famous 7 star hotel in Dubai, (yeah 7 stars… the staircase railings are actually made of real gold) as one of the production companies there, Alchemy films, was shooting a commercial for the hotel, I brought the Epic along to show the production crew and shot some pretty fun behind the scenes video of that on a little 1080p HD handi-cam (I'll post a vimeo link for the bts footage when I cut it down some)

Turns out to get the air shots with a RED ONE would require some extra special shooting permits, etc, as it's size it not something you can sneak onto the copter to get some quick shots.. but turns out my slightly larger than normal "still camera" is really no problem to take along with me on a quick ride around the City with a few others in the chopper… The copter pilot was really cool, we filled him in on the deal and he was all for it.

So just shooting in the minimum configuration, with my very light original 18-50 RED zoom, handheld out the side window of the chopper, we got some pretty nice looking footage, both motion and stills at the same time… every single frame of the 5k motion footage is a super high rez still in it's own right, as you can see. Shooting 5k slo-mo with a narrow shutter since I had no mattebox or NDs, and small size was key to the success of the mission. Having that super high resolution should make the handheld movement very easy to stabilize in post with no penalty… in fact there is a very small bit of vignetting on that older zoom at 18mm so it's kind of a double win to have the huge 5k frames to sneak in on a touch for stabilization.

I would like to downplay how much fun I had, as just another day in the world, running around showing off the gear, but this day was really special… a culmination of the ride from the earliest prototypes to the first RED ONEs to this day was really remarkable… The engineering team at RED and the driving forces behind the work we do deserve a tremendous amount of credit for creating this small wonder called EPIC… just to be along for the Ride is an honor and privilege, and it was quite a ride on that particular afternoon.

Then it was off to a Coffee shop in Istanbul to show of the EPIC and Scarlet, and I grabbed this quick shot of the group there having fun "5K style" I extracted a few fun stills from the 5k movie that show how nice it is to have the motion images to just pick the best moments from the shooting, same resolution for the movies or the stills - phenomenal.

No doubt there will be many more stories of EPIC in the wild soon as more and more cameras start shipping and shooting amazing footage… this was my lucky moment to be a part of that. There's another story about my travels to Sydney and Melbourne with some pretty amazing EPIC footage as well, but I'll leave that tale to my friends Mike and Jason from fxphd to fill you in when they are ready… all I'll say is everything I've been telling you about the power of HDRx™… I've been underestimating how phenomenal and powerful this piece of the technology puzzle is… wait till you see for yourself what we saw Smile

Thanks to all for letting me play along!"

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted and EPIC shoot Dubai from a 7 star skyscraper:

http://vimeo.com/21249188

http://vimeo.com/21323342

Rock on, Ted!

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: