RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » RED EPIC (EPIC-M, EPIC-X) » RED Delivers EPIC-M #00008
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 RED Delivers EPIC-M #00008
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: RED Delivers EPIC-M #00008 Reply with quote

This posted online by RED's Jim Jannard:

"Steve Gibby has EPIC-M #00008 in hand and will be un-boxing today. Everything he does will be posted online.

Should be a fun day/night."

Then Steve had this to add:

"First just let me say this:

Our M8 baby arrived this morning, along with some seriously cool accessories Smile

Me and our crew are hanging out with M8 out in the mountains and red rock cliffs of southern Utah at my ranch. First let me explain who our crew is: me (shooting MCool, my wife Pam (shooting FF35 stills of the crew), Ketch Rossi (shooting MCool, Michael Tekcin (data wrangler & tech support), Joseph Hutson (video documentarian).

Epic seriously, seriously, seriously rocks! The unboxing was surreal mega-grins all around. We just sat there and stared at all the cool things which kept coming out of the box. M8, matte box, SSD (4), Red Mote, 5" LCD, and on and on. It was like a big, giant birthday party!

Then came the fitting and assembly. The finish of the stuff is spot-on. The titanium PL mount is incredible - very precise and strong.

For our on-location shooting we have a set of Master Primes, a set of Red Pro Primes, a Red 17-50 Red Pro Zoom, Ruby 14-24 zoom, and for some long lens sports action we'll use my stock Canon FD 150-600 f5.6L zoom, which has a Century PL mount conversion (mount only). The Red Matte Box fit each lens perfectly (except the Canon naturally). Its amazingly light...but seems very strong too.

We've been out all afternoon shooting in some really stunning red rock canyons. The Red Mote is way cool my friends. The camera's menu system is straightforward and easy to navigate.

Pam shot tons of stills all day of the equipment and crew in action. Joseph documented everything in video with his Z1.

We're breaking for dinner now, but we're already processing the still pics. After diner we'll begin to post our impressions of M8. pics of the day, etc. We have several more shooting days ahead, so we'll keep everyone posted about what we've done. It will be a day or so before we post shots from M8, including stills and clips. But we should be able to put up some of the video Joseph shot fairly quickly.

Before we break though, I need to tell all you friends something very cool - I brought in my longtime associate Ketch Rossi and formed an alliance. Ketch now co-owns Epic M-00008 with me. Welcome aboard Paisano! We've worked together on many projects since 2007, so this was a natural progression of our alliance. I also have two early Stage 2 Epic X cameras coming. Ketch will not be connected with those cameras though.

Before I go to dinner I just want add that in a 30+ year career in this industry, I can only remember being this excited once before - and that was the day I took delivery of Red One 00008! Jim's dream of Red cameras, and all the hard work of Red Team has seriously enhanced this industry as a whole.

Epic will blow your mind..."

And finally, Ketch had this to say:

"Must say that after a long time relationship, it was inevitable that we ended up forming such Alliance, and extremely
happy and proud of it Steve:)

Together we will see Epic-M8 in many shoots to come, which have already started with Zion National Park, with Steve
Gibby's EFP style shooting, even so we didn't get a Canon mount, so we will be shooting PL lenses as described
above by Steve.

More shoots are planned and will post Pictures Unboxing Wink setting up and shooting, just give a little time to go thru the pace
and be ready for a serious ride, as M8 is already scheduled for some serious Cine Style shoots as well, in LA, Lake Tahoe,
Richmond Virginia, and NY to name a few Wink

RED has really outdone themselves with EPIC!!!

Not sure really if I will see anything else in my life time of such Quality, fill, Build, Form Factor and IQ such as EPIC, THANKS RED Wink

FIRST PHOTOGALLERY LINK: http://ketchrossistudios.com/site/Photo/Photos/ Thanks to Pamala Gibby for the Pictures Wink

FIRST BTS VIDEO LINK: loading....... Thanks to Joseph Huston for the Videos Wink

Happy Campers..."

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from Steve:

"Whew...what a day! After dinner we've all been pouring through stills, checking out Joseph's documentary footage, dumping off and and backing up the day's M8 footage.

I've attached a few more pics here. You can see that it was a team effort - a bunch of stoked guys huddled around a table top crowded with the new tools of our future. Hopefully these pics will bring the rest of you up to the table with us.

We brought out some serious lenses for this week's fun...

I think my smile in that one pic says it all - I climbed onto the Red train clear back in mid-2005 - and days like this remind me of what an incredibly fortunate decision that was Smile

Joseph's first two edited videos from today came out way good - informal and fun. We've uploaded them to our servers and in a few minutes we'll post a link to them right here on this thread.

Ketch has uploaded down-rez versions of all the still photos Pam took today, then uploaded them to his site. In a few minutes he'll post a link here on this thread to all those pics

Next up tonight - viewing today's M8 footage!

We have an early call tomorrow morning and its almost 11pm here, so after we view the M8 footage we'll get some sleep. Tomorrow we'll be out shooting with M8 in some incredible 12,000' mountains, red rock canyons, and by rivers in meadows. Then Monday we'll spend all day a a gorgeous mountain resort while I shoot 5k overcranked slow motion of skiing and snowboarding.

My approach to Red One has always been mobile EFP style action sports, wildlife, adventure travel, nature, music, cultures, and documentaries of various kinds. It shouldn't surprise anyone here that my approach to Epic and Scarlet will be the same - except Epic (and Scarlet) are smaller, and in the case of Epic I get the combo of 5k at the higher frame rates I've been craving for a lot of my work.

Don't get me wrong, for the more pastoral shots I do I quite often shoot 24fps or 29.97 fps. But for the high action sequences in wildlife and sports Epic takes me to the a whole other combo level of fps and resolution Smile

Also, as Ketch noted earlier, M8 will also very shortly be used in some serious cine style productions - some features, S3D, etc., plus some high-end tourism TV productions which we'll mostly shoot mobile EFP style.

Life is good...and so is business Smile"

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from Steve Gibby and crew:

"We're up and about to head out for another day of fun! Today we'll be at a bunch of stunning places out in the high mountains and red rock pinnacles. I'm thinking I'll use the Ruby 14-24, Red 17-50, and Master Prime 18mm today.

It will be a lot of real mobile work (love it!), so my tripod will be a Miller Arrow 55 head, on Miller 1505 spreaderless CF legs. I'll also use one of my Cine Saddles to get the camera on the ground, on rocks, fences, etc.

I'll use the new Red matte box too - its impressive - lightweight and strong (both of which are good in the kind of work I do). I usually don't use matte boxes because I usually use 35mm still zooms and screw-on filters. But when I do use lenses which call for a matte box, this new Red matte box will definitely be my choice. I'm way glad we bought it...

The camera worked perfectly yesterday. This is an early camera running and alpha build, so and we're out here pushing it. We haven't been able to break it yet Smile

Tomorrow we'll be at a beautiful mountain resort all day while I shoot 5k/96fps footage of skiing and snowboarding. BTW, we shot some 5k/96fps driving footage yesterday in a red rock canyon, with M8 on one of my Cine Saddles on top of my Xterra. It came out real good! The lens we used was a Ruby 14-24, with the Red matte box. Fun stuff...

Out all day shooting now...we'll post more pics, more video from Joseph, and impressions later this evening."

Ketch Rossi:

"Okay, finally going out.. this is our set up of the day that Steve just finished setting up Wink

See you guys Tonight with more Pictures and videos Wink

We are just acting as if we have consumed gallons of Coffee ha ha."

Steve Gibby:

"Another great day out here with M8 Smile

The camera performed flawlessly...no problems at all. Today was car-mounted driving shots at 96 fps overcranked, and 12 fps undercranked. The camera setup we used was what I set up this morning - the setup Ketch posted just before this post. That setup weighed just 19 pounds, and felt lighter than that.

That setup is well-balanced, easy to hand hold, and the EVF is way crisp and clean. I think that camera setup really speaks for itself - it was a thing of beauty - lightweight, balanced, looked way cool, and "all business". It was a real pleasure to work with.

We found that at 14mm the Ruby 14-24 shows a small amount of the Red matte box on the right and left edges. I simply pushed in to half way between 15mm and 16mm and the easily lost the matte box edges. The 14-24 is a full frame 35mm lens. Images from the lens are very crisp, good contrast, and clean. I expected that because I've used the stock Nikon 14-24 on Red One with excellent results.

We're just now backing up the BTS still pics and video, then comes the M8 footage.

Its way amazing how you can be super tired at the end of the mobile shooting day like this - but when it comes time to check out the days images everyone is all into it!

We have a early call tomorrow as we trek up to a beautiful ski area for me to shoot some high frame rate skiing and snowboarding. Can't wait to shoot those slow motion sequences...love that stuff!

More info and pics coming soon..." Smile

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Framegrab from EPIC-M #00008.

Full-Size 5K Image: http://img207.imageshack.us/f/5kframejtfinal.jpg

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More test videos from EPIC-M #00008

http://vimeo.com/19714035

IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: