RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Feature Suggestions » Late Roll mode?
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Late Roll mode?
soundgarten
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Late Roll mode? Reply with quote

Hi Red Cam Central,

This is my maiden voyage on the Forum.

I am a production sound mixer who has worked on many shows with the Red Camera. I am very fond of the Red Camera and it's mostly quiet nature.

One thing that came up quite a bit when I was mixing The Social Network, which we shot almost exclusively with two cameras, was the situation where one camera wanted to take a late roll or to cut early while the other camera was filming.

Because the fans will only go into silent mode when the camera is rolling, we would often have to bury the non rolling camera in furniture pads, which was cumbersome and awkward for the operators.

I suggest that you add a late roll / early cut mode that could be activated, in which the fans could be silenced at the beginning and or end of a take even when the camera is not rolling. The mode would of course have to have a safety control that would override it if the camera started to overheat.

I know that you could roll both the cameras through the entirety of each take and only use the parts from each camera that you needed, but what if the director and the editor don't want to have to sort through all of the unusable footage?

That's it, my first post.
Thanks, Mark Weingarten.
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Its a pleasure to have you post on the forum here. That is an excellent suggestion and I can see that situation coming up from time to time. The current RED ONE Camera does indeed have quite a few options for the fan modes, but you are correct that they only change upon rolling. While we are not the official RED forum, I will be sure to pass along your suggestion.

Our readers would love to hear more about shooting "The Social Network", your experiences with the Camera, and Mixing Sound, etc.

Thanks again for dropping in...

----------------------

Also, while on this topic, here are the current RED ONE fan modes:

AUTO (Default)
This setting combines VARIABLE speed fan operation while not recording, with SILENT mode when in record. This mode is recommended for extended duration dialog recordings.

VARIABLE
This setting is most useful when the ambient temperatures are below 50°F/10°C. In variable mode, the fan runs at a continuously variable speed in both preview and record. At low ambient temperatures the fan will run at minimum speed. At higher ambient temperature, the fan will run faster to maintain the camera body within its operating temperature limits.

HOT
This setting is most useful when the ambient temperature is between 86°F/32°C and 104°F/40C. In hot mode, the fan runs at its maximum speed. Other camera cooling precautions may be necessary, such as shading the camera from sunlight and use of a cold gel pack.

STANDARD
This setting is most useful when the ambient temperature is below 86F/ 32C. In standard mode, the fan will run at half its maximum speed when in record.

QUIET
This setting is most useful when the ambient temperature is below 72°F/25°C. In quiet mode the fan runs at one quarter its maximum speed when in record.

SILENT
This setting is most useful when the ambient temperature is below 60°F/15°C. In silent mode the fan runs at its minimum speed when in record."

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: