RedCam Central Forum IndexRedCam Central Forum IndexRED EPIC Rentals
FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

RedCam Central Forum Index » Feature Suggestions » Data Recovery Utility for .R3D Files
View previous topic
View next topic

Reply to topic
 Data Recovery Utility for .R3D Files
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Data Recovery Utility for .R3D Files Reply with quote

A file recovery utility is one thing I would love to see RED release.

The thought of "what if a card gets formatted accidentally" or "what if a card gets corrupted during mounting / unmounting" has been talked about, and even though it is a rare possibility, I think it would be great for RED to released a utility for both PC and Mac to scan the card and recover the files.

The closest I have gotten so far on the Mac has been scanning with Virtual Lab and Boomerang Data Recovery software. Both seem to show the .r3D files (but Bommerang did not show correct file sizes), and Virtual Lab even lets you enter in the file type and size limitations, since most recovery programs only look for typical files such as .txt and .jpg, etc.

The only problem is that these programs then charge quite a bit... between $175-$200 for 8GB of data recovery. And that isn't even guaranteed to work.

I would like to know what anyone else has tried.

It seems to make sense that a formatted card or one that lost the header information still should have the rest of the .r3d files intact and be recoverable. I believe Panasonic or a third party makes one for the P2 workflow.

We hope to see this utilitiy from RED, as we want to be prepared for anything for our clients.

EPIC-M #5XX & #6XX - Rentals Now Available
IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to try doing a test with Virtual Lab software, but I need to raise a bit of funds to help pay for the test...

I've set up an account and put in $20 to start it at Fundable.com

Virtual Lab software costs $175 to recover 8GB of data... a bit much, but peanuts if it YOUR project you are trying to recover.

http://tinyurl.com/36u9qh

As soon as we raise the goal, I'll go ahead and purchase the license and data quota to do the test.

Remember, this software continually needs to be purchased for the use of the data quota, so I will not be able to use it more than our test without paying for the next amount of data "credit". This keeps it fair, since I won't be benefiting more than anyone and the test will remain on test footage only.

I very much hope that this works as it will be a nice way to help clients feel more comfortable.

thanks everyone for contributing to the cause.

http://tinyurl.com/36u9qh

As a Guest, you are currently unable to view/download the file attachments in this post.
Please Register or Log In to access attachments.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we're about halfway there with $80 raised.

I'll keep updating this as we get closer. Thanks again for everyone who has contributed so far.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This post was made a bout a year ago, but was in another thread, so I am copy/pasting it here as well for those who may also be reading it here.)

ok - a quick update. I did a recover on one of the cards so far... the one with that was removed while attempting to mount.

I was able to recover several clips!

Some clips were not recovered completely and a few were merged with other clips in that the frames alternated between different clips every other frame. Strange. This might have to do with the signature that was built, or perhaps similar file structures between various clips.

Also, we had a timelapse test that might have been confusing for it.

Either way, I am happy that I was able to recover some clips on this situation.

I have been working on a feature film non-stop these past few weeks, so am sorry I have not been able to dedicate more time to this test. When I get more time, I will do a complete test and analysis, and write up a summary.

Thanks to those who contributed for the test and also for everyone's patience. More soon...

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This post was made a bout a year ago, but was in another thread, so I am copy/pasting it here as well for those who may also be reading it here.)

OK, one last update to this test.

I also scanned the RED card that was "accidentally formatted" and the clips all show up in the Virtual Lab scan window.

I was under the impression that the price for the software was a one time fee of around $100 and then you get an account in which you can then purchase GB "quotas" for as much as you like. (For 8GB it came out to be around $175 total). It turns out that you must pay the $100 fee every time. Sad And then add your recovery total to that amount.

So, at this time, instead of asking for another donation to do another test, I will leave it at this: I am fairly certain that the Virtual Lab software will be able to recover the clips from the recently formatted RED CF card, since they showed up in the free scan and I have recovered clips from a corrupt volume already.

Conclusion: While Virtual Lab is pricey, its good to know that it stands a reasonable chance at recovering accidentally formatted RED CF Cards (did not test with RED Drives) as well as Cards that have become corrupt from mounting issues or other problems.

While no guarantee, in certain situations, it may be money well spent.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed. I hope this is helpful to others. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

IMDB Credits
RedCam Central
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for this thread which is a year old now. (In case any one searches and finds this.)

In June of 2009, RED released their own file recovery utility called "REDundead" which can be used to recover .r3d files from formatted RED media.

Many people have reported success on recovering files on accidentally formatted drives, corrupt cards, etc.

As of today, the app only runs on Mac OSX and can be downloaded here:

http://www.red.com/support/release_history/17

IMDB Credits
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: